Saturday, October 10, 2015

My Firstborn Turns Nine

Dear Iain,

Half a month ago, you turned nine. You posed for your "last day as an eight" picture, went to bed that night, and woke up the next morning a year older. Not really, but you know what I mean.

You're getting to be so handsome. I love the new haircut you've been sporting, and when I told you so, you said, "Oh no. Now all the girls are going to love me. I better get a new haircut." Your confidence is awesome and hilarious. 

On your birthday, we made you a birthday banner. We cooked hotdogs over a fire in the backyard, and we played corn hole toss. I can still beat you, but that won't last, I'm sure.






A few days later, we met your friends at the bowling alley for bowling and laser tag. I loved watching you play! You were so excited, you had so much fun with your friends, and you delighted in the whole morning. You asked for lemon bars instead of cake, and I was happy to oblige. 


I was secretly hoping you'd win the game. And you did. You even got a strike and a couple of spares--what fun! Look at that score. :)



Nine years ago, you made me a mama. Today, and every day, you make me smile. You make me proud. You are brave, smart, funny, kind, clever, creative, and deep. You are a good brother, and you lead this little pack of kids well. I pray that you will always love and serve and follow Jesus, that you'll know Him more every day and in knowing Him, will love Him. I pray that He will make you bold, courageous, kind, and strong. Your daddy and I love you, Iain Mark. Your brothers and sisters adore you. Happy ninth birthday!

Love always,
Mom

No comments: