Here they are in random order:
Iain has a tape called Nursery Rhymes and Lullabys that he loves. He'll just sit and listen and sing along sometimes ("quack quack" on Six Little Ducks, "cat, kit" on Three Little Kittens They Lost Their Mittens, "baa, baa, wooo" on Baa Baa Black Sheep, etc). If only we had a cool, old-fashioned radio this would look positively Norman Rockwell-esque.
And you might notice that the back of the hair needs a bit of a trim...sniff...his first haircut... But it was starting to look a little mullet-like and we can't have that now, can we?
My mom came down to help me do it because part way through I was sure I'd mess it up somehow and he'd go through life emotionally scarred from his horrible first haircut. The first snip, and the sweet ducktail curls are no more:
But it turned out pretty well and once again he's a handsome dude. And I think he grew up about two years in the ten minutes it took us to cut it:
Here is the current favorite dad-activity: professional basket-surfing. To do:
1. put small boy in laundry basket
2. run down the hall at top speed, pushing small boy in basket.
For Nona's birthday a few weeks ago, Iain painted a clay pot for a plant, and some picture frames. Actually, he mostly painted himself. Here, a narration in the master's own words.
Hmmm, which colors to choose? Boo? Lowlow? Pin? Geen?
Brush or finger? Both.
I beseech you, Mama, give me back my cereal.
What do you mean I'm too covered in paint to eat it? Ohhh, the injustice!
My hands are clean, honest! See?
- Lately, when it rains, Iain asks (repeatedly) to go outside and dance. And if we let him, he does!
- When it's time to brush his teeth, Iain comes to me and says (in a whispered voice) "too-pay, too-pay, too-pay" for toothpaste. That was actally his first two-syllable word.
- Speaking of two syllable words, "again" has gone from "na-gaa" to "ahh" to "again!" He's finally got that one down.
- "Yes" however, in still "zzaaaahhh!" Apparently, he often gets words completely backwards at first.
- He refers to himself now, which is fun to hear. He calls himself "Eeen."
- Iain often asks to go to the park so he can "dive-dive" or drive drive. He's talking about the steering wheel thing they often have on playgrounds.
Tune in next time for The Cory Edition, some playground pictures, and more!