Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Fit (and other funny things)

Iain cracks me up. Today, as he was jumping on the trampoline, he decided to start throwing fits. He'd fling himself down, kick, scream, whine, fuss, and thrash around. Then he'd get up and jump some more. Then he'd have another fit attack. It was like the terrible twos in all their tantrumness would hit... and then he'd be done. It was bizarre! (Edited to add: he was having fun, not really mad. At least, I don't think he was. He's a good actor!) My mom got some hilarious pictures; when Iain saw them, he kept saying, "What is he doing? Why is he doing that?" He totally didn't get that it was HIM.





Some more funnies:

When we saw a woodpecker the other day, we watched for a while. Then it flew away. Iain's comment: He's scared of me. But I'm just an Iain!

When he dropped his plate on the floor, and I asked him what happened: I did it anyway because I'm not being careful though.

The newest way to ask why: (remember, he used to just say "Because..." and leave it up to you to fill in the blank. Now, half the time, this is what he says) You want to tell me why.

We go to story time at the library once a week. Every week, they do the same songs, and until last week, Iain refused to do the motions (Cory loves them, however). Last week, he told me he was going to do the frog song and the hokey pokey, and he did. This week, the day before story time, we were taking a walk. Here's the conversation.
Me: Iain, we're going to story time tomorrow.
Iain: I will do the motions. I will do the frog song and the hokey pokey.
Me: That's good. What about "open them, shut them?" Will you do that one?
Iain: Probably not.
Me: (stifling a laugh) Why not?
Iain: Because I don't like the way she does it!
Me: You have a point there. I don't like the way she does it either.

And then, after all that... story time was cancelled. So instead, the boys got to color on the little coloring table they have set out there. Iain would not share his crayons (There's a sermon illustration for you: someone who has both hands so full of crayons that he can't even color, and yet still refuses to share...). Anyway, eventually, I told him that we had to leave because he wouldn't share with Cory. So all the way down to the car, we talked about sharing, and why we were leaving, etc, etc, etc. Finally, as I was putting him in the car...
Me: Iain, do you know why we had to leave?
Iain: Because I wouldn't share and I was throwing a fit.
Me: That's right. Are you going to share next time?
Iain: Probably not.

At least he's honest!

No comments: