Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Bringing Mason Home, Part Two

Saturday: We returned to the hospital for Mason's hearing test, and got the most delicious bagel ever from the cafeteria while we were there. Then, after a stop at Walmart (needed some different bottles--Avent worked so much better for him than Playtex!), we decided to head to Antelope Island, which sits in the Salt Lake.

Seriously one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I can't wait to take the kids camping there someday. The buffalo just wander around, crossing the road in front of you, staring at you when you take their pictures. We drove around the island, hiked toward the mountain peak, and visited the ranch. (Tour guide: How old is your baby? Me: Three days. Tour Guide: Wow, you look good!) I could literally feel myself relaxing as we walked around--the beautiful creation around me fed my soul. Feast upon this:

Saturday Night: We met our dear friends the Brooks for dinner! They moved from our area to Salt Lake a few years ago. What a treat to see them and meet their son Beau!

Sunday: More waiting on paperwork. We drove to Park City, which was beautiful and odd--so very planned, but gorgeous. We went to see a movie. Mason did great, but the movie was lousy. Jeremy packed up to head home. I took more pictures.

Monday: Mason and I dropped Jeremy off at the airport, and he winged his way home to our other three kiddos. We had been told that if all our paperwork got in to the GA ICPC office by Monday, Mason and I might be able to come home in time for Thanksgiving. Monday afternoon I got a call that a few things were missing. After some intense and stressful phone calls/emails/online searching/paperwork shuffling/faxing, I got it all in. Now all we could do was hope ICPC wouldn't think of anything else they needed. If they did, I likely wouldn't have gotten home until yesterday. You know how the story turns out.

Mason and I drove around to downtown SLC (pretty!), made a Target run for some formula and diapers, and hung out at the hotel. Doing lots of this:
Tuesday (Nov 20): Funny thing. I posted on FB something about the best food in SLC, and a friend of mine whom I haven't seen since high school saw it. Turns out she's living in SLC, about 20 minutes from where we were staying! We met for lunch on Tuesday at the Crown Burger (burgers and Greek food? Yum.), and talked for a long time. Then we went to a park, and she took pics of Mason (by the way, she's a photographer!), and we talked some more. SO fun to catch up with her! Thanks for the fun times and great pictures, Sara!!

Late afternoon, Jeremy asked me to head back downtown and sign some papers/deliver a check to the lawyer's office. So we bundled up and headed off. We were cutting it close to 5:00, and several times I thought about just turning around and trying again Wednesday. I couldn't find the right building from the parking garage, and that made us a bit later. By the time we made it upstairs, it was a little after five, but thankfully they were still open, and we got it all taken care of. Good thing, too, because it turns out, I wouldn't have been able to do it Wednesday after all.

Wednesday (Nov 21): I called our social worker in the morning to check in. Left her a message. Tided the hotel room, etc, while I waited for her to call back. Turns out I should have been packing! She called and said ICPC cleared and we could go home! Hooray!

I called Jeremy and we booked a flight. I packed/cleaned/checked out/drove to the airport in record time. Gave back the rental car. Made it to the gate and took a deep breath. We were headed home! On the last flight (that I know of) on the day before Thanksgiving. Thank You, Jesus!

(our home for the Utah days)

At the airport--going home! 

Two flights, one layover, a laptop bag, a diaper bag, a suitcase, a carseat, and a sleepy baby later, we made it. Only a few hours before Thanksgiving. Our friend Jennifer stayed with our sleeping kids so Jeremy could come get us. So glad to be home.

Thanksgiving Morning (Nov 22): Cory woke up first. I was dozing on the couch with Mason, who had been up for a while. I led Cory back to our bedroom, and woke up Jeremy. Iain came in. The boys met their brother for the first time.

Cory held him and told him about our family. "Oh! And we watch Shawn the Sheep on Saturdays. Oh! And we like to make banana bread. Oh! And..."

 Iain smiled and smiled, and nicknamed him Snort.

My three boys:

When Laina woke up, she was enamored of "her baby." She still is.

Oh how cute!

Finally, all four.

God is so gracious to us. We are thankful indeed.


Annette said...

That's beautiful, Allie!! What a great story!! I've been looking forward to reading the details. He is GORGEOUS, and Laina's and the boys' smiles are also so beautiful. Congratulations to you and Jeremy!!

julieamazed said...

Wow! I had not kept up with your posts so forgive me for the belated congratulations!! What an amazing story, Allie!! God is soooo good!