Thursday, January 31, 2008

January Book List

This year, I'm going to try to record all the books I read, just for curiosity's sake. So here's January:

1. The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. Well-written, thought-provoking, funny and snappy.
2. Blessings by Anna Quindlen. Fluffy fiction, not so well written, not my favorite. Wouldn't read it again.
3. 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper and Cecil Murphey. Very interesting story, horribly written. I was amazed that it could have been a NYT best seller. The first paragraph was a fitting introduction as it was as bland as the writing. However, I know this book has comforted and inspired many people, so I guess sometimes the message outweighs the medium. At least, for some.
4. Job. I'm reading through the Bible in a year, chronologically. So I read half of Genesis and then all of Job. The greatness and mystery of God juxtaposed against the know-it-all, formulaic mindset of man, as small as we are, was particularly striking this time through.

I think that's all for January.

No comments: