Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Book Review - The Sweet By and By

The Sweet By and By, by Sara Evans

I must say, although I didn't have high hopes for this book when I started (a novel written by a "Multi-Platinum Recording Artist" says the cover), I was pleasantly surprised.  The Sweet By and By tells the story of a woman approaching her wedding day, but trapped in a painful past.  As she digs up and retells her secrets, she searches for healing, and the Healing One searches for her.  

Often I am disappointed by Christian Fiction.  Sometimes it comes across as poorly-written and sappy, and generally predictable.  The Sweet By and By was, for the most part, predictable, but in a relaxed, comforting way, and there were enough plot twists to hold my interest.  The book flits backward and forward along the story line, and even among some of the characters, but it does so well.  

The characters were developed and realistic, and I found myself thinking about them when I wasn't reading - a good sign for me that they hold my interest!  And the climax, when Jade finally catches a glimpse of the Truth... it was good.  I won't spoil it for you, but it was good.

Although I can't say this book will ever make the canon of literature, I enjoyed my trip through its pages.  For an uplifting, relaxing read, try The Sweet By and By.


1 comment:

julieamazed said...

Thanks, Allie!! I don't jump into fiction with out a good recommendation and I've been looking for a relaxing read. I'll definitely give it a shot!