Tuesday, January 12, 2010

School Days!

Last Monday (1/4/10), we started school!  

(First day of school pictures)

Iain is learning to read, using the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons which is pretty intense.  Lots of very specific tasks.  But it takes only 15-20 minutes per day, which is good because by the end of it, Iain definitely gets squirrelly.  So far, he's learned the sounds for m, short a, s, and long e.  A tricky part for him is remembering to say the letter sound, not its name.  But he's doing great, and he especially loves running his finger along the arrow under the letters and yelling them out when he gets to "say it fast."

Cory and Iain both are learning about giraffes, as part of school.  They are very into giraffes these days!  So we watched some youtube videos, colored giraffe pictures, and got some giraffe books from the library.  


My favorite activity (this cracks me up - yes, I'm weird, I know): we learned that giraffes have 18-inch-long black tongues.  So we made 18-inch-long black tongues.  The boys loved it, and I just laughed and laughed.  




How very academic of us, I know.

*********
Cory: Hey Iain?
Iain: Yes?
Cory: Hey Iain?
Iain: Yes?
Cory: Hey Iain?  Hey Iain?  Hey Iain?
Me: Cory, what are you doing?
Cory: Talkin' to Iain?
Me: What are you trying to say?
Cory: I'm sayin' 'Hey Iain?'  (Ask a silly question...)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

hi! i used that book with my son last year and LOVED it! i plan on using it with my 4 yr old starting here soon! love the long tongues :-)

Mrs said...

Now THAT'S my kind of schoolin'! And your Mom thought I was crazy for using KONOS . . . she's got a KONOS kid for a daughter, even if you're not using it!

Christopher Ryan said...

Love the unit study! We did that sort of thing all the time growing up - and the tongues were totally the best part! :D

Ma said...

Great school days...brings back memories! Enjoy!