Monday, February 01, 2010

Chew on This

" 'Whether therefore ye eat, or drink ... do all to the glory of God.' St. Paul had recognized even the common things.  Of course, I knew that; I had heard sermons on it.  But I saw now that if my task was far smaller in terms of the effect it was to produce, it was far larger in terms of my own life involvement.  If there were times when I must be willing to pay any price for what was called the 'advancement of the Kingdom; there were also times when I must let such a price - climbing a mountain for example, in rain and mud and darkness - be paid in vain.  This, too, was a place to glorify God.  This must have been what Lynn meant, I thought as I set the table. 'Jesus told us to do what is true.' " --Elisabeth Elliot, in her only novel "No Graven Image."

If you haven't read this book, you should.  And be ready to think.  And maybe get mad.  And definitely be challenged.

No comments: